Monday, June 4, 2012

Procrastination

"It is an undoubted truth, that the less one has to do, the less time one finds to do it in." ~Earl of Chesterfield

Most of my writing is done on the run.  The time I seem to achieve most is waiting in the car to pick up my daughter from school.  She is at the age were she is horrified by the thought of me actually standing in the playground.  I was sad when it first happened but I have found not making forced conversation on the playground with people that the only thing I have common with is the fact we had sex in the same year, very freeing.  I've struggled with playground friend making and politics.  But now I often try to get there at three, not to get a parking place, honest, but for that thirty minutes of writing time.  Next is coffee shops, away from the washing machine and television.  And in my occupation, I drive more miles than the starship enterprise, so I get the odd ten minutes before an appointment.  But I often feel my writing is disjointed as a result, which was why I was so looking forward to the long weekend break. 

I made sure I'd done all my washing, and sat down with husband to do the end of the month books and mileage, every other household task could wait.  So what have I done with my precious time today?  Fritter it away with small mindless little tasks.  And now it is five thirty and I'm really angry at myself.  Still no time like the present, once I eat tea and wash up I'll get on with some writing, definitely....

1 comment:

  1. Procrastination; Agreed. Agreed, agreed, agreed. I have accomplished exactly nothing as well - i had such hopes, such huge big high hopes -- and have managed zip. Am very cross with myself as well :/ - i thought for a small fraction of time that i might be 'in the zone'; nope. But i will beat this procrastination monster yet - and if not, im taking him down with me. (funny how i made procrastination a 'he'hmmmmmm) :)

    ReplyDelete