Saturday, March 3, 2012

So I had a bad day...


I opened the email and got the dreaded rejection from Re Authoring South East.  I suppose I should be grateful that they even bothered to contact me back – so often you don’t even get a definite answer.  Unfortunately, I haven’t slept in a week, my anxiety is back with force and I’ve had the unpleasant task of grounding my youngest daughter.  I often think it would be so much better if I was the sort of person who could have a quick blub, but that is something I find incredibly difficult.

I’ve had many rejection letters over the years. Plus the tantalising hopeful requests to see the full manuscript, being asked to rewrite and then - rejection. 

One of the hardest parts of being a writer is that you have to put your heart into your work and accept that it will probably be stamped on again and again.  My work is like me, imperfect and flawed.  Some people like it, some don’t.   I don’t think successful writers have some special power.  It’s my belief that real success is having the strength to carry on. 

I’ve never had a life where things have just fallen into place – but I am a worker.

Success depends more on persistence, determination, movement than talent.  I also have the ability to learn from mistakes, to figure out what I’m doing wrong, and then to change it.   In my small writing group I know I’m not the most talented person there, but I also know so many people who never have the confidence to send things away or get angry and give up after one rejection.

Being a business woman I know that when you are selling anything lots of unknown weird factors can influence that sale.

So, despite the disappointment I returned the email to Re Authoring South East and asked for feedback to find out why I wasn’t selected this time.  When it comes it will probably make me feel worst in the short term, but hopefully will help me towards my ultimate goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment