Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Inspiration

I caught a bit of Rex Harrison in the 1945 film Blithe Spirit and immediately hit the record button on Sky.  It’s one of my favourite films, I remember once contriving a reason to stay off school to watch it. 

I think it’s one of Noel Coward's most enduring pieces of work from the war years and it was a hugely successful black comedy.  For those who haven’t seen it, it’s about a novelist who researches the occult and hires a medium. A séance brings back the ghost of his first wife, causing havoc for the novelist and his second wife.

It’s so amazingly well written.  I put it on for my girls to watch, they are aged 10 and 11 and I was convinced that they wouldn’t like it.  They didn’t make a sound and was completely absolved by the story and of course Margaret Rutherford’s acting.

The sheer amount that Noel Coward wrote and the standard of work he produced was amazing.  I just love the realistic dialogue and bickering George has with his wives. 

What an inspiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment