Monday, November 5, 2012

Why bother with NaNoWriMo?

Why are you doing NaNoWriMo I was asked today? At the time I gave a really stupid answer - why not? Then later I kicked myself as I thought of better reasons. What else is there to do in November except save up for Christmas and then when December comes its hard to find time to think never mind write.

What I really love about NaNoWriMo is that it gives you permission not to try and rewrite before you have finished. Its good to sprint sometimes and just focus on getting the words down on paper. I understand why editors and publishers hate NaNoWriMo, the amount of unedited trash they receive in December and January must be scary. But if you know that this first run at a novel is far from perfection it is great to be able to write without the internal editor. How often does something come along and says hey we are okay with a third class piece of work as long as its finished, a nice change from all those polished first three chapters not finished manuscripts.

Despite wanting to get down as many words as possible it is surprisingly free of padding, waffle or beautiful descriptive paragraphs. I am getting down the skeleton frame of my novel.

Words so far: 12,640 but today 140 words short today.





No comments:

Post a Comment