Saturday, August 10, 2013

The sardine on the plate

The good news is that I have been told I should never go on a low fat diet - yeah! Bad news is that once again the sardine is on the plate. 

Depression is an indication that certain hormones are out of kilter within the brain, specifically, beta-endorphins and serotonin.  When our bodies lack adequate levels of seritonin and beta-endorphins, that balance out our brain chemistry, we may feel hopeless, sad, depressed, touchy to criticism, offended, crave sugar and alcohol and feel isolated and lonely – all signs of depression. And that of course triggers the anxiety and PTSD.

My list of 'upper' foods which have all been in the news claiming that they help mental health problems are:

Brazil nuts
Bananas
Blueberries
Salmon (sorry but I can only eat tinned and, then with half a bottle of salad cream)
Tuna (same as above - but I throw in a bit of sweetcorn)
Spinach (I use the other half of the salad cream)
Chicken and turkey 
Dark chocolate 

The list of food to avoid is much longer and contain all my favourites. Now 'they' claim you should avoid potatoes and tomatoes because they belong to the deadly nightshade family they were classed as ornamental foods and, were in fact considered poisonous. Some of the problems associated with consuming large amounts of this food group can include arthritis symptoms and .....the big D. But we are always being told to cut out different types  of food. I've gone off potatoes at the moment anyway.

The big problem is that once again I'm being recommend to eat sardines. In tomato sauce which is actually deadly nightshade - which I'm suppose to avoid - work that out!

It is the 'ultimate' fish in terms of health value.

She says, 'It is an oily fish and one 7 inch sardine can also provide one portion of
protein. There are also lots of small bones so you are getting added calcium in your meal. If it is tinned in tomato sauce, you are also getting the benefits of lycopene - another cancer fighting nutrient.
'Some fish eaters may be worried about chemical residues in fish called PCBs - polychlorinated biphenyls. These were chemicals that were dumped in the sea decades ago, but are still showing up in fish, animal and human fats.
The Food Standards Agency says the amount of PCBs found in fish is so small that it is still safe to eat the recommend amount of two portions of oily fish per week. They say the health benefits of eating the fish outweigh any health risks from PCBs.'

I'm not worried about PCBs. I'm worried about this sardine on my plate.

I just don't understand why in this day and age it can't be processed to look like a burger, sausage or fish finger.


No comments:

Post a Comment