Sunday, May 25, 2014

A Self - Nurture Writing Retreat

I'm not sure if this is the first day of my writing retreat or second. We landed at Montpellier airport yesterday morning. On this years writing retreat I have been accompanied by husband and daughters. We settled into the villa. My girls tried on every outfit I bought them. My oldest daughter managed to get sunburnt despite the suntan lotion. We walked to the river. AND I managed to finish the YA book I'm reading and do my two thousand word target.

At the beginning of the year I decided to try the 'One Word' challenge. So instead of making a list of New Year Resolutions I decided to pick one word which sums up the changes I wanted to make in my life. My word was two actually, self nurture. I wanted to try and treat myself as well as I try to treat other people.

I was going to try and stop flogging myself. If someone treated me badly, they stole from me or were hurtful. I was not going to try to make the relationship work not matter what. I have lost people I thought were friends (however - are they friends? That is another blog.) My relationships with other people seem to have got stronger.

I have put short term writing goals on one side to focus on my university novel, and my picture book and and early reader.

This morning I feel blessed. I have been out for an early walk. The sky is blue. My beautiful daughters are sleeping. Someone else is making my breakfast. And I am doing what I love. Writing.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful. Why is it that so many of us (women particularly) put ourselves to the back of the nurturing queue? (Me included).
    Happy writing - and long may your self-nurturing continue.

    ReplyDelete