Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Feeling grateful

I have so much to be grateful for in my life. Top of my list are my two miracle babies.

My beautiful baby girl was twelve yesterday. I remember when she was born. She was alert, eyes open and skin so soft. Her little fingers spread out like star fish. 

I remember all those magical lazy mornings with the whole family snuggled in bed. She was a reflux baby which isn't fun and provided buckets full of washing. Before the end of her first year we found out she was a climber. That statement won't mean much to most. For those who had a toddler who liked to climb they will no doubt recal all those heart stopping moments when you find a child wobbling uncertainly from some dangerous high position.

My husband couldn't be with our daughter on her birthday, he phoned several times yesterday. He is missing so much living in Stevenage. I feel so sorry for him when he isn't here for these mile stones, and I appreciate the fact that I don't often miss these special moments. 

Every so often you see a glimpse of the young woman my daughter will become. It is difficult to describe these strange magical moments. It is like eating a strange combination of food, both sweet and sour at the same time.

I desperately tried to finish my work before my daughter came home, but I still needed another three to four hours to complete it. I rarely fall behind deadlines, but things have slipped over the last few weeks. Bills have to be paid.  My oldest daughter stepped in and came to the rescue, she made the birthday tea. It was very kind of her. She was tired because she stayed late after school for a rehearsal. She'd also pulled a tendon in her foot, and is in a lot of pain at the moment. Nevertheless, while I was making changes to a manuscript, she peeled potatoes. It does get easier as the children grow older. 

Tea was a quiet affair, just the three of us. I was hoping that once I sent out my latest edit to my editor we could snuggle up and watch a film or maybe play a game. Now it was my youngest daughter turn to be busy. She wanted to practise on her new keyboard and play a few computer games.

How many times do we say to our children, 'not now I'm busy?' It doesn't take long before they are saying that to us.

I have finished one massive task this week, but I'm still so behind. I will be juggling today. I need to get more work out, put the church magazine together AND bake a birthday cake. I will also have to pick my oldest girl up from school because she is auditioning for the school production of 'The Wizard of Oz.' Plus it is the dreaded a Guides night, pick up and drop off via the diversion around the flood. 

Children add complications to our lives. It can make finding time to write harder, but I'm ever so grateful to have them. This morning I woke my daughters early and so that we could have a cuddle in my bed. It's certainly easier catching a snuggle from older children when they are still tired, groggy and the music isn't on yet. 

I've decided that I will phone my husband today to see if he would like to go and see Mr Peabody and Sherman.  I want to take the girls to the cinema for a treat and to say thank you, they certainly deserve it. 


1 comment:

  1. I love you mummy! I'm not going to be gone for that long just yet!

    ReplyDelete